Skip to main content

LD10: Tricky Shading and the Backspin


In my tenth illustration for Lucy's Dance, the Curukaq dance festival is afoot in the gymnasium of an unnamed, Yup'ik village. Traditional foods--dried salmon, fry bread, and akutaq--appear on the table. The text emphasizes that the participants lack many traditional dancing artifacts and skills, so they improvise by dancing in their own ways. The row of drummers and the food constitute the central elements of heritage, unless you count the general spirit of revelry.

In past illustrations, I have colored most of the characters' hair (almost solid black in reality) with purple. By request, I tried a more realistic dark brown in LD10. The result: I find it difficult to see any texture in the hair with such a dark color. In the thumbnail-sized image, texture may be indiscernible. Showing texture requires a lighter color, but would be inappropriate to show the hair as a lighter brown, which would convey a skewed image of the ethnicity. I'm still a fan of purple, but it's difficult to tell whether this would seem to surreal or unfamiliar. I'm eager to hear outside opinions on the matter, especially (but not only) from my Yup'ik readers.

Speaking of ethnicity portrayed, I have also darkened the skin tone in this image relative to prior images. In some photos, I don't notice that the Yup'ik skin color is significantly darker than Caucasian skin, though it's difficult to factor out sun exposure that accompanies the subsistence lifestyle. In terms of political correctness, I was unsure whether to err on the side of lightness or darkness. It seems that recently, some illustrators have provoked criticism for blanching out ethnic characters. One article mentions a cover illustrated by Diana Sudyka, one of my favorite illustrators. Recently, Sudyka's depiction of an African-American character earned protest from bloggers for being too pale. I think it's always a bit tricky for an illustrator to depict the "characteristics" of an ethnicity other than his or her own. I admit, it was comforting to learn that an artist whom I admire struggled with some similar issues.

I could approach the problem by listing a string of Yup'ik features, but this approach immediately feels eerie and clinical. I prefer to page through a pile of photos, then draw impressions mixed from what I have seen, working to include variety. Of course, in this particular drawing, most of the characters' faces are obscured or oversimplified due to the angle and distance.

Another small change: in response to a suggestion, I've decided to remove Apa's parka in this scene and instead show him from behind. Wearing it indoors might be disrespectful at a potlatch, and also a little too unabomber-esqe.

In a final cultural note, I'd like to add that I watched at least 10 break-dancing videos to ascertain that the shown backspin and Zulu spin moves are depicted here as they would really be performed by kids who had seen them once on TV.

Comments

  1. I like how you've rendered everything here, from Apa's clothing to hair color. So many tricky details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very true about the details. I'm surprised by the questions that arise, even in a relatively modern scene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LD3: Neutral Coloration

My third illustration for Lucy's Dance treats the delicate topic of the missionaries who visited Stebbins in the late 1920's and stopped the Curukaq festival . . . or rather, tamed it into hiatus. A Jesuit missionary, Fr. Martin Lonneaux, overlooking the support-system of the Yup'ik community, perceived that the gift-giving portion of the festival was costly enough that it left several Yup'ik families destitute. Lonneaux concocted a watered-down version of the potlatch that would involve smaller, church-supplied gifts, but in the process amputated the festive spirit of the festival such that his "pretend kassiyuq " never caught on. For further details, see Stebbins Dance Festival (xxiv). The wording in Lucy's Dance focuses neutrally on the cultural misunderstanding. It would have been easy to use powerfully-charged language when summarizing this cultural loss. From what little I can find about him, Fr. Lonneaux, SJ seems to have been a relatively toler...

Artifact Studies and Random Notes

In junior high school I collaborated on a project with a small, mostly-female group of students. We were to design a unique, fictional culture and build illustrative cultural artifacts. We would bury said artifacts in a cardboard box filled with soil. Another team would then excavate our artifacts and guess about our culture. After several days of creative deliberation, we designed a pyramid-based matriarchy wherein men were kept underground as slaves, brought out occasionally to build more pyramids. Elvis was God. According to the artifact of my memory, middle school was a confused and hostile culture. I began this week's illustrations, again, with visual research. I still don't know everything about these artifacts, but my Stebbins Dance Festival book has some interesting statements about them. Part of what I do know I impart below. According to their cultural artifacts, the Yup'ik people practice artful dancing to drums while waving furred objects. They also spend time ...

Argument from Final Consequences, feat. Jack White

In the SG definition, "Such arguments (also called teleological) are based on a reversal of cause and effect, because they argue that something is caused by the ultimate effect that it has, or purpose that is serves." As the White Stripes put it in their song, " Effect and Cause ": "first comes an action, and then a reaction, which you can't switch around for your own satisfaction." Another fitting example from the song: "if you're headed for the grave, don't blame the hearse." I've decided to be a bit abstract in my interpretation of the fallacy. Normally, the negative space , or the space around the snail shape, is an effect of the snail. In this drawing, I have shifted the negative space to the foreground, allowing it to cause a shadow. I have effectively cut out the negative space and placed in front of a telescope. The fallacy is sometimes called the "teleological" (end/purpose) fallacy because it makes effects, o...