Skip to main content

Swan Story: The Narrative Fallacy

It is common knowledge that if a suitor is well-liked by a girl's parents, the girl herself will most likely find him unsuitable. And absolutely: if an infant of mysterious origin appears on an orphanage/farmhouse doorstep and has qualities that set him apart from the other children, he/she is the offspring of royalty, and will one day reassume his/her rightful throne. So decrees the Law of Narrative Necessity.

I stole the term "Law of Narrative Necessity" from Terry Pratchett's Discworld fantasy/satire series, which frequently parodies popular myth. According to the L of NN, as soon as you recognize the story, you must play by its rules, be they comic, tragic, or Whedonesque tragicomic. Riding the story flow is all well in fiction, but it may be a fallacy when applied to the interpretation of everyday facts. I first encountered the narrative fallacy in Nassim Taleb's book, The Black Swan, which discusses the difficulty in predicting the influence of random events of great (often disastrous) impact, like, say, a movie starring Natalie Portman adopting the same title as one's bestselling book. Taleb claims that the world is relatively unpredictable, not tailored to familiar conventions like those found in tragic, bird-centered ballets.

But there's a reason that an archetypal ballet compels more people than a book about statistics. Certain constructs (Aristotle's mythos, Freytag's plot structure, Campbell's monomyth) have incumbent toeholds in the popular imagination, and very, very few people are immune to their allure. Narratives hand us a hiking stick and point us to a trail at the foot of a mountain. What lies off the path becomes irrelevant. Because this involves simplifying and focusing, stories can warp and exclude information, leading one to cherry-pick facts to suit the story (in the fiction world, this is called editing). Most people prefer the simpler, "good parts" version with an iconic plot. On the other hand, the postmodern reader may prefer stories with no admirable protagonist or clear plot structure, writing that candidly portrays the absurd idiosyncrasies of the dust bowl during the Great Depression, etc. But isn't it the storyteller's job to make some meaning from that dust? Add a little water and you've got a sandcastle. In the literary world, we choose the coherence level according to our tastes. But what about the world of real laws? Lawyers often weave argument and story together to engage juries. Yet this may require dishonest oversimplification, or deemphasis of ill-fitting evidence, unless it is done carefully.* 

Stories undoubtedly shape our decisions. That said, are you party to any particular narrative structure? Natalie Portman's unfortunate Black Swan character lives out echoes of the macabre ballet, Swan Lake. I'd wager much of our behavior takes root in our favorite childhood narratives--movies memorized, books reread. Don't be surprised if you catch me plagiarizing scraps of The Princess Bride (I memorized the first five pages when I was twelve), The Phantom Tollbooth, or anything by Roald Dahl, literature that created my early affection for pirates and poachers. I have friends who, knowing full-well the corrupting power of such media, have attempted to shield their daughters from Disney princess culture with its pillow-bustle models for femininity, only to find that, chicken-pox like, it took root more powerfully at an older age. I'm not sure whether this princess appeal is enculturated, or is engineered to be so universally attractive that nothing can resist it, like certain nacho-flavored snacks. 

My drawing illustrates Freyag's narrative plot structure, which is really very conveniently snail-shaped. But then, many things in the world are beginning to appear snail-shaped to me these days. Maybe it has something to do with that orphaned sail I found on my doorstep once upon a time.

Just for fun, here's a preliminary sketch containing other notes and doodling.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LD3: Neutral Coloration

My third illustration for Lucy's Dance treats the delicate topic of the missionaries who visited Stebbins in the late 1920's and stopped the Curukaq festival . . . or rather, tamed it into hiatus. A Jesuit missionary, Fr. Martin Lonneaux, overlooking the support-system of the Yup'ik community, perceived that the gift-giving portion of the festival was costly enough that it left several Yup'ik families destitute. Lonneaux concocted a watered-down version of the potlatch that would involve smaller, church-supplied gifts, but in the process amputated the festive spirit of the festival such that his "pretend kassiyuq " never caught on. For further details, see Stebbins Dance Festival (xxiv). The wording in Lucy's Dance focuses neutrally on the cultural misunderstanding. It would have been easy to use powerfully-charged language when summarizing this cultural loss. From what little I can find about him, Fr. Lonneaux, SJ seems to have been a relatively toler...

Artifact Studies and Random Notes

In junior high school I collaborated on a project with a small, mostly-female group of students. We were to design a unique, fictional culture and build illustrative cultural artifacts. We would bury said artifacts in a cardboard box filled with soil. Another team would then excavate our artifacts and guess about our culture. After several days of creative deliberation, we designed a pyramid-based matriarchy wherein men were kept underground as slaves, brought out occasionally to build more pyramids. Elvis was God. According to the artifact of my memory, middle school was a confused and hostile culture. I began this week's illustrations, again, with visual research. I still don't know everything about these artifacts, but my Stebbins Dance Festival book has some interesting statements about them. Part of what I do know I impart below. According to their cultural artifacts, the Yup'ik people practice artful dancing to drums while waving furred objects. They also spend time ...

Argument from Final Consequences, feat. Jack White

In the SG definition, "Such arguments (also called teleological) are based on a reversal of cause and effect, because they argue that something is caused by the ultimate effect that it has, or purpose that is serves." As the White Stripes put it in their song, " Effect and Cause ": "first comes an action, and then a reaction, which you can't switch around for your own satisfaction." Another fitting example from the song: "if you're headed for the grave, don't blame the hearse." I've decided to be a bit abstract in my interpretation of the fallacy. Normally, the negative space , or the space around the snail shape, is an effect of the snail. In this drawing, I have shifted the negative space to the foreground, allowing it to cause a shadow. I have effectively cut out the negative space and placed in front of a telescope. The fallacy is sometimes called the "teleological" (end/purpose) fallacy because it makes effects, o...