Skip to main content

Pareidolia

The topic of this week's illustration falls into my snail series, but pareidolia is not, strictly speaking, a fallacy. It is a psychological phenomenon that I feel underlies much fallacious thought, but also much creative thought.

Pareidolia involves the human tendency to perceive a pattern or an organized image in a set of nebulous stimuli. The most common examples involve people seeing Elvis or the Virgin Mary among the shapes that appear on their pancakes or birthmarks, or in images of the surface of the moon. Rorschach inkblot tests make use of pareidolia in attempts to elicit material from the subconscious. Pareidolia can also invoke other senses by causing us to hear voices in radio static or heavy metal songs played backwards. Beneath pareidolia lies the urge to seek patterns and create meaning, to make a confusing and disparate world intelligible.

The urge to think associatively--to seek patterns where patterns don't always exist--can be harmful or constructive. We seek patterns when we generalize and stereotype, or when we hastily link correlation to causation. Pattern seeking is at work in conspiracy theorists who perceive elaborate plots behind every distressing event. Then again, I also seek patterns when I force my eyes to understand an impressionistic painting or when I comprehend a metaphor.

In his book The Demon-Haunted World, late astronomer Carl Sagan suggests that pareidolia has evolutionary roots in our desire to seek faces in visual arrays, a habit that we pick up as infants. The idea is that infants are more likely to survive if they recognize and respond to their parents' faces. As a result, our species is slightly over-programmed to seek faces darn near everywhere, including in our breakfast foods. I don't think we ever really shake the impulse to assign faces, personify, and anthropomorphize. How else can we explain the near world-dominance of LOLcats? Sagan's suggestion makes intuitive sense; I think we look for what we want to see, for what is comforting and familiar, but also for what we fear. I recall jumping and breaking a cup once because I felt a shadow behind me shaped like a person. After two seconds, I remembered that I had temporarily moved a man-sized bookshelf to an odd location just outside the kitchen. I also get the jibblies around unusually mobile pieces of lint that resemble spiders. It's not difficult to speculate evolutionary benefits behind these snap responses.

Pareidolia fascinates me because it marks a place where objectivity steps back and imagination takes over, sometimes in a coup of survival instinct, and sometimes in the slow reading of a symbolic poem. If I always gave in to my urge to pattern-seek, I'd probably never get an accurate picture of the world. However, without it, I'd be unable to respond personally to a book or recognize my own handwriting. For me, pareidolia is not a force for good or bad, but simply a force to be monitored lest I wind up having conversations with my toast and macing my furniture.

This week's piece both utilizes and pokes fun at pareidolia. I originally planned to show a more explicit snail in the illustration, but in the end I decided it was better to imply a snail as viewer.

I used a substantially different illustration style this week. I've always been keen on watercolors and collage, and a few of my handmade pieces have combined the two. Lately, I've been inspired by the collage work of children's book illustrator Eric Carle and by the works of Rex Ray, which overlap the fields of design, crafting, and fine art.

I began by creating a relatively simple vector art illustration with satisfying shapes. Then I used a watercolor wash texture as a fill. I created the texture on a piece of watercolor paper, scanned it at high-resolution, and used the image as a swatch in Illustrator. I'm not usually a fan of drop shadows, but here they give the image depth and a satisfying collage effect. I hope to experiment with the collage effect in future pieces, working in some new textures and possibly including some sketch lines. For now, though, I'm enjoying the simplicity, and the fact that in digital collages, I don't have to deal with ripply paper or rubber cement fumes . . . even if the latter might allow me to see snails in the clouds.





















If the linked image doesn't seem very large, try holding down the control or command key and pressing + to zoom in. You can zoom out using control -.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LD3: Neutral Coloration

My third illustration for Lucy's Dance treats the delicate topic of the missionaries who visited Stebbins in the late 1920's and stopped the Curukaq festival . . . or rather, tamed it into hiatus. A Jesuit missionary, Fr. Martin Lonneaux, overlooking the support-system of the Yup'ik community, perceived that the gift-giving portion of the festival was costly enough that it left several Yup'ik families destitute. Lonneaux concocted a watered-down version of the potlatch that would involve smaller, church-supplied gifts, but in the process amputated the festive spirit of the festival such that his "pretend kassiyuq " never caught on. For further details, see Stebbins Dance Festival (xxiv). The wording in Lucy's Dance focuses neutrally on the cultural misunderstanding. It would have been easy to use powerfully-charged language when summarizing this cultural loss. From what little I can find about him, Fr. Lonneaux, SJ seems to have been a relatively toler...

Artifact Studies and Random Notes

In junior high school I collaborated on a project with a small, mostly-female group of students. We were to design a unique, fictional culture and build illustrative cultural artifacts. We would bury said artifacts in a cardboard box filled with soil. Another team would then excavate our artifacts and guess about our culture. After several days of creative deliberation, we designed a pyramid-based matriarchy wherein men were kept underground as slaves, brought out occasionally to build more pyramids. Elvis was God. According to the artifact of my memory, middle school was a confused and hostile culture. I began this week's illustrations, again, with visual research. I still don't know everything about these artifacts, but my Stebbins Dance Festival book has some interesting statements about them. Part of what I do know I impart below. According to their cultural artifacts, the Yup'ik people practice artful dancing to drums while waving furred objects. They also spend time ...

Argument from Final Consequences, feat. Jack White

In the SG definition, "Such arguments (also called teleological) are based on a reversal of cause and effect, because they argue that something is caused by the ultimate effect that it has, or purpose that is serves." As the White Stripes put it in their song, " Effect and Cause ": "first comes an action, and then a reaction, which you can't switch around for your own satisfaction." Another fitting example from the song: "if you're headed for the grave, don't blame the hearse." I've decided to be a bit abstract in my interpretation of the fallacy. Normally, the negative space , or the space around the snail shape, is an effect of the snail. In this drawing, I have shifted the negative space to the foreground, allowing it to cause a shadow. I have effectively cut out the negative space and placed in front of a telescope. The fallacy is sometimes called the "teleological" (end/purpose) fallacy because it makes effects, o...